Saturday, August 10, 2013

Baked Ziti

I first started making baked ziti when I bought the cookbook, "Cook This, Not That." I used their recipe for awhile until I tweaked it into my own baked ziti recipe.

Each time I make it, it's a little different. I add peppers and zucchini to the basic recipe, which I think adds a unique flavor.

Here is my recipe for baked ziti.


Baked Ziti

Serving size: 4-5

Ingredients:
16 ounces ziti or penne (1 box)
1 tablespoon olive oil
1 pound mild italian sausage
1/4 cup onion
2 cloves garlic, minced
1/4 cup pepper (red, orange, yellow, or green)
spaghetti sauce (recipe)
1/2 cup zucchini
10-15 green olives
extra basil (optional)
extra oregano (optional)
8 ounces mozzarella cheese (shredded)
6 ounces parmesan cheese (shredded)


Directions:
1. Preheat oven to 400 degrees F.
2. Bring a pot of water to a boil.
3. Follow directions on package of pasta.
4. Add olive oil to pan on medium heat.
5. Add onions, garlic, and peppers to pan and cook for few minutes.
6. Add sausage and cook until done. Place aside.


7. Make spaghetti sauce.
8. Place sausage mix, spaghetti sauce, zucchini, and green olives in 9" x 12" baking dish and stir.
9. Add pasta and stir.
10. Add extra basil and oregano to taste.
11. Add mozzarella to baking dish and stir.
12. Place parmesan on top.



13. Cover with foil.
14. Bake for 15 minutes, then remove the foil and bake for another 10 minutes.


Place baked ziti on plate and enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment